What Happens in Scotland by Jennifer McQuiston

What Happens in Scotland
by Jennifer McQuiston
Publication: February 26th 2013
Publisher: Avon
ISBN:0062231294 (ISBN13: 9780062231291)

review courtesy of Edelweiss




Jennifer McQuiston’s debut historical romance, What Happens in Scotland, is a lively, romantic adventure about a wedding that neither the bride or the groom remembers.

Lady Georgette Thorold has always been wary of marriage, so when she wakes up next to an attractive Scotsman with a wedding ring on her finger, it’s easy to understand why she panics and flees. Convinced that Georgette is a thief, her may-be husband, James McKenzie, searches for her. As both try to recall what happened that fateful night, they begin to realize that their attraction and desire for each other is undeniable. But is it enough?

My Thoughts:
I have been fortunate to read some wonderful books from debut authors and I am adding Jennifer McQuiston to that list. This may be her debut book but she created characters and a story line like a pro. Jennifer had the talent to bring these characters to life. From the butcher to the main characters, each had dimension, which can be a challenge even for the seasoned authors. The story line was unique and captured my attention from the start..  the story was witty, at times snarky, and the heroine was very strong-willed, placing Georgette as one of the best protagonist I've read in a long time!

The way the story began was different from previous books I have read. The the main characters, other than a few words in the first few pages, do not actually meet up again until mid way through the book. The author wrote from POV of the hero then switch to the heroine's POV. It was a smooth transition and there was no pause time for me to "get into the head" of the new POV character. I think this was the best way to write this book with such a unique storyline, among other things, the author manipulated my empathy for both characters, making me feel what they were feeling,  I was able to learn/understand what made each act as they do and make the choices they made. 

I loved discovering what made the hero and heroine tick and I loved it even more when James and Georgette were finally face to face. It was a joy to see their immediate hesitations of one another begin to vanish as they learned to trust their own feelings, it may have been easy for them to acknowledge that they loved each other, but trusting each other was slightly different. Their dialogue was honest and the author didn't bog down the pages with misconceptions or hidden truths. 

The book was filled with family struggles, friendship, mystery and romance.  A fun read and I am looking forward to more of Jennifer's books.  I am hoping this is just the beginning of the the town of Moriag... maybe we can see more on William, Cameron, Elsie and Patrick... 
Best of luck and happy writing to you, Jennifer McQuiston... 

My Rating



Get your copy today!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming by, it means alot to me. Since you're here, I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.